What to be process-wise automated?
- Test execution implies triggered executions - kicked of by Continuous integration server, on demand or scheduled. In state of the art project, it could be smart test execution - when only subset of test are executed which belong to a affected with new build pieces of software
- Test Reporting and test Results management. Keeping historical data in one place, in mid and long term provide you very valuable statistics, metrics and lessons learnt. Reporting is essential for managers and stakeholders, it helps them to make decision. So our job is to give them a tool which will build report for them and provide valuable information in one screen.
- Results analysis and collaboration. Let your team mark results, exchange, share and tag specific test run results with one click; avoid effort duplication; keep tests stable and up to date by acting immediately; make it transparent
- Test debugging. Helps you to avoid tedious and hardly manageable test code fixes and improvements, given tool should ease all internal collaboration and accelerate decision making process
- Version control is irreplaceable in test automation. Do versioning, branching, tagging, etc!
- Auto Tests deployment. Something should run in background to make sure that right and latest version of tests and framework is being executed. In advanced cases, it should be able to deploy test code which is compatible with specific software under test version. Sounds cool!
- Test Lab, infrastructure deployment and roll up (e.g. virtual machines stand by and suspend - especially in case of dealing with virtual data centers, on demand cloud centers - basically where run time is run money off)
- Environment and SUT availability monitoring (all data that can be precondition for whether start actual test execution or report fatal error and quit)
Gredy addresses most of these process automation aspects. Gredy automates test automation
Would you add more to the list of automation automation?